St. Vladimir Ukrainian Orthodox Church was founded in 1924, predominantly by immigrants from Western Ukraine. The first Divine Liturgy was celebrated by Fr. Gregory Chomicky on October 26, 1924 on W. 14th Street in Craftsman Hall in Tremont, a neighborhood of Cleveland. After the liturgy, the first organizational meeting was held to set rules and regulations. In 1926, property was purchased on W. 11th Street in Tremont, and construction began on the first church, which was dedicated in 1933 when Fr. Michael Zaparyniuk was pastor. From 1939 to 1944, the interior of the church was decorated with frescoes, and many of the parish organizations were established during the early years of the parish.
After World War II, the parish was strengthened by more immigration from all regions of Ukraine. The growth of the parish and shift of population to the suburbs necessitated the purchase of ten acres of property in Parma in 1954, through the efforts of Fr. Anthony Beryk. From 1957 to 1958, during the pastorate of Fr. Stephen Hallick-Holutiak, the old Parma City Hall building was purchased at an auction for $11, moved to State Road and Marioncliff Drive for $35,000, and renovated for $250,000 to become a chapel, which was simultaneously, with the old church in Tremont, served by the clergy. With the assignment of Fr. Stephen Hankevich in 1960, the parish became more active and grew to over four hundred families, spanning three generations. In 1962, it was decided to start building a new church complex for $500,000, and in 1964 construction began during the 40th Anniversary Celebration, with the groundbreaking taking place in 1965 by Metropolitan John Theodorovich. The church, seating over four hundred people, was completed in 1966, with the laying of the cornerstone on August 28, 1966, the first Divine Liturgy served on October 23, 1966, and the dedication of the church taking place on May 28, 1967.
Soon after, a beautiful three-level baroque iconostas (icon screen) was installed and dedicated in 1972. In 1975, the new Baroque style domes, done in the style of those at St. Sophia Cathedral in Kyiv, were installed. The church domes have been updated and releafed several times since then. For the celebration of the Millennium of Christianity in Ukraine in 1988, an 800 square foot mosaic, depicting the Baptism of Kyivan Rus-Ukraine, was placed over the exterior main doors of the church. In 1993, a monument commemorating the over seven million victims of the Holodmor (Artificial Famine) in Ukraine of 1933 was dedicated on the parish grounds. In 1996, the parish completed the interior of the cathedral, by adding iconography to the ceiling and walls of the Church. The church was elevated to Cathedral in 1974 by Metropolital Mstyslav Skrypnyk during the 50th Anniversary of the parish, and in 1997 it was designated as the Cathedral of the Central Eparchy of the UOC of the USA.
Presently, St. Vladimir's parish facilities include a church, a school building with eleven classrooms and meetings rooms, a library, a conference room with a photo display of the Holodmor of 1933, and church offices. The Grand Hall has seating capacity of over 400 and is used for many functions. Not far from the church, at the Brooklyn Heights Cemetery, the parish administers a section for its parishioners. At the center of the section stands a twelve foot memorial which was dedicated in 1976 in the memory of all the deceased parishioners.
The parish today has a vibrant spiritual and community life which includes many parish organizations and groups: the Ukrainian Orthodox League (Senior and Junior Chapters), Brotherhood of St. Vladimir, Sisterhood of St. Olga, Church Ushers (Brothers and Sisters), Ukrainian and English Choirs, Altar Servers, Sunday School, Ukrainian School, School of Ukrainian Folk Dancing, Hryhory Kytasty School of Bandura, Parish Library, and Pyrohy Group. The spiritual needs are met by the presiding eparch, His Eminence Archbishop Daniel and the pastoral staff of Fr. John Nakonachny (pastor), Fr. Michael Hontaruk (assistant pastor), and Protodeacon Ihor Mahlay.